This property was historically the pattern shop for the Ross-Meghan Foundry, but is now owned by the City of Chattanooga and is a part of the First Tennessee Complex. The building was most recently used for storage. One building was demolished by the City in 2016. A sad case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing because architectural plans and renovations were in final phases of production to adaptively reuse the space by the Chattanooga Firefighters Association.
Union Gospel Missionwas last used by Tennessee Temple as a mission site for homeless men, so it was known as the “Union Gospel Mission.” It was demolished October of 2013.
This two-story brick building is one of the few remaining turn-of-the-century neighborhood markets in the downtown area. Ongoing deterioration continually threatened this vacant structure and it was eventually lost.
Referred to at one time as “the most magnificent building in East Tennessee”, this three-story brick structure served at various times as a mercantile house, temporary county courthouse, military prison used by both armies during the Civil War, city hall, National Guard Armory, and automobile dealership. The building was torn down in the 1920s and is today the site of a drive-through banking branch.
The 1600 seat Jakewell’s Bijou Theatre, located across from the Hamilton County Courthouse, served for many years as a theatre, church, and auditorium before being damaged by fire in 1940. Although the owners announced their intention to rebuild the structure, in 1949 it was taken down to make way for county employee parking.
Constructed on an entire block at the foot of Cameron Hill was this two-story Victorian mansion. It served as the Carver Memorial Hospital (1947-62), the first Municipal Hospital in the South completely staffed by African-American doctors and nurses. The house was torn down as part of the Golden Gateway urban renewal project in the 1960s.
Opened October 17, 1908, Chamberlain Field is the nation’s second oldest on-campus football stadium. Before that, the land was used as a pasture for Chattanooga Transfer Company's horses and mules. Major stadium renovations took place in 1927 and in the mid-1940’s. Terry Bradshaw, Johnny Unitas, Steve McNair and UTC’s own Terrell Owens all played on Chamberlain Field. The last game was played on October 4, 1997. It was a 20-17 win by UTC over Wofford.
This large structure was built as a single-family residence. Later on, it was divided into apartments in the 1930s. This was the only remaining historic property anchoring the intersection of Central and McCallie Avenues.
Designed by Master Architect R.H. Hunt, this beautiful Romanesque church was torn down in 1967. A parking lot took its place after the church moved to a new location in the Golden Gateway development.
This frame house served as the headquaters of Union General Ulysses S. Grant during the battles for Chattanooga in 1863. At one time the oldest residence in Tennessee, the house, which sat near the southern end of the Walnut Street Bridge, was torn down in 1966.
For many years, this four-story brick structure was the second-largest hotel (after the Read House) in Chattanooga. In 1958, the hotel became one of the first casualties of the Westside Redevelopment Program and was demolished.
The first brick house located in Chattanooga was built by James A. Whiteside, early Chattanooga promoter whose efforts earned him the nickname “old man Chattanooga.” Torn down in the 1920s, the home was replaced by an apartment building.Today it's covered by the I-27 freeway.